Saturday, January 3, 2009

Forsyth

Thomas Forsyth designs objects that you can interact with and also play.

Drawing Tops"A spinning-top, that uses a pen as the spindle, represents many of the core ideas behind my
current work. it is recognisable, un-intimidating, and invites people to interact with objects that can lead to unpredictable results, or an emergent property. simply through indulging in the enjoyable process of spinning the top a bi-product is created. where the pen marks the surface, a beautiful map of the experience and events that have occurred is produced. I am able to draw, but I am not particularly talented at it and yet found that, through the interaction with these objects, I have created drawings that I am more proud of than any I have done before."


Chess?
"This is my mischievous challenge on the rigidly structured squares of the chessboard. I have introduced new components to the board, some of which may only emerge during play. This encourages players to communicate and have creative input rather than simply follow pre-determined rules. You can play spontaneously, or those who want a more strategic game can negotiate rules before the game commences. This all means that players don’t need to know how to play chess in order to participate."

No comments:

Post a Comment